Thursday, May 19, 2016

Writing Prompts responses: "What if I told you, I created Magic?"

Welcome, Wanderers, to a place where logic were thrown out of the window, err, my room has no window, so it might have been more appropriate to say door. Not that it matters.

As you can see, this is not the standard Scribble format, this one is a story that I wrote as a response on the Writing Prompt sub reddit. Not that you could even access reddit here in Indonesia, unless you used a few unfiltered DNSs.

Writing Prompt is a sub where you could post an idea and let people write a story about it, or read ideas posted by others and write a story about it. This one below is an example of the latter.

Disclaimer: I do not own Merlin, Britania, nor Mephistopheles. I surely don't know if someone once had or have the name Izrdien or if the family name Reinn-Lasch actually exist.

The story begin here ;)

I opened the great gate of Britania Magus Society, and immediately greeted by an old man in pitch black robe and unruly silver hair.

"Merlin!" I hugged the old man, my very first mentor. Oh, how I missed him. I think it must've been more than a decade since the last time I saw him, and yet his magical aura was even stronger than ever.

"My my, Izrdien. You've grown up to become a splendid lady. It's hard to believe that you were this little girl that accidentally turned herself to a weasel in the Hex Incantatum class." he stroked my long hair.

"Ugh, please, I cannot forget that fo years! Anyway, since I'm finally become a member of Britania Magus Society, care to accompany me to a tea?"

"As usual, I can't seems to understand your thought process. But I cannot really refuse that, so let's get going."

Sitting beside the window, I looked at Merlin's tired eye, only to find a burning fire on the place of his normally sapphire eyes. He was not Merlin.

"Revoke Pasithea, Invoke Iris, show me the truth." I muttered incantation for dispelling illusions under my breath, but his appearance stayed the same. Is he actually changed his outward appearance with Hex Incantatum or similar spell?

"That won't work. As you might've guessed, I used Hex Incantatum to actually change my outward appearance."

He could hear my incantation?! I shifted to defensive posture, preparing basic reinforcement spell.

"But now that you've noticed that I'm not that old geezer, I might as well reveal my identity." with a fiery flame, his black robe changed into black tuxedo, his silver hair became long enough to reach his knee.

"Mephistopheles at your service." he grinned maliciously, his arms spread wide.

"So that's why your aura was different.... wait a second, so the one I was hugging when I entered that room is...."

"I must say, your body have exquisite proportion, madam...." without letting the old man finish his sentence, I slapped him with magically reinforced hand, repeatedly.

But he simply teleported away. Not before my fifth slap though.

"That freaking HURT, you know?! Why would you slap me when you're the one who hugged me in the first place?!" he held his red cheek, but it's actually pretty impressive to be still alive after got hit with my Obsidian-class reinforcement magic.

"THAT'S because! Ugh, you know? I'll let it pass. So, why were you impersonating Merlin?"

"I think that form would be the most appropriate to talk with you regarding a secret mission from the Society."

"Yeah, right. As if they would offer a secret mission to a fresh graduate like me."

"Precisely because you are a fresh graduate, miss Izrdien of Reinn-Lasch, that you are suitable for this mission. You have a special affinity towards magical formulae that...."

"You do realize that I held the record of out-of-control spell at the academy, don't you?"

"You have affinity towards formulae, not intensity! You keep losing control of your spell because you lack control in the intensity of mana used, but the especially complicated formulae in the spell you devised to seal the magical beast Ydraig is really beautiful, it had left the realm of human magic."

"W-well, if you say so" I averted my gaze and drew a deep breath before looking at him squarely in the eyes. "Then, tell me what the secret mission is."

"Well, what if I told you, I created magic?"

"Then I'd tell you to get out of the room right away. The grand witch Hecate was the one who introduced the basis of modern magic, with her successor Pasiphae and Circe introduced the field of magical warfare."

He laughed.

"Yes, that sly woman Hecate, she was the first human who discovered my little [Command] subroutine, running in paralel with the automated vanilla kernel, that I've worked so hard to hide from the Higher Up."

"Subroutine? Automated vanilla kernel?" I tilted my head in confusion.

"Oh, don't worry my dear Izrdien. What I'm saying is, Hecate did discover magic, but the true nature of this world have no magic. Only through my influence, through my meddling, that the magic is born." he smirked "Thus, I told you, I created magic, and now I seek thine help to prevent it from becoming, let's say, out of my control."

"But why? If you created magic, shouldn't you have full control for it?"

"That's the problem. The magic, that is a method to change the reality through usage of mana, was not intended for human to use. I created magic for my own convenience, and now that too many people used magic, it's processing capability is nearly overloaded. So, what you have to do is to devise a magic spell for me, with the corresponding formulae, to seal the existence of magic once and for all from humanity."

"But why? And why would I comply with your unreasonable request?"

"In exchange of sealing magic, the current version of magic, that is, I'll give you immortality and exclusive access as a human to the next version of magic. If you refuse, well, let's say I have more than enough human as hostage. Let's see, I'll begin with Merlin, and then your friends in the academy, your entire villages, parents, family....."

"I get it! So, when should I start?"

"ASAP, my lady."

The story will now ends.

No comments:

Post a Comment