Sunday, May 22, 2016

Scribble 5: Teacher, Love, and Heisenberg's Uncertainty Principle

Hello [Again], Wanderers, to one corners of the internet that even I didn't remember why I created in the first place.

Well, at least now I would know what kind of google search that would drag you here by accident, sorry guys, if you're here while searching for school assignment, you could go back to the google search page.

Alright, I will cut right into the chase. There was this obsession of mine when I was on my Middle School and High School days, where I spent a lot (and I mean a lot) of time studying theoretical physics, well, as far as high schoolers goes, that is.

And no, the teacher was NOT a pretty woman in her 20s that I wanted to impress, in fact, he was a middle-aged man.

There was this interesting concept in quantum mechanics, dubbed the uncertainty principle, which basically states that if we could precisely measure the position of a certain particle, we would not be able to precisely measure it's momentum, and vice versa. In other word, a measurement of a particle would always a trade off between the precision of the position or the precision of the momentum.

What on earth does that concept have to do with Love?

Is probably what you thought. Well, making a connection with it to Teacher would be easy enough even for normal human being, but remember, it's me who was writing the scribble. When you read a story where a princess fell in love with a dragon instead to the knight, which I actually wrote, you should have already gave up hoping to read an actually coherent story in this blog.

On a side note, this was actually a Reality Fiction. *yay*

And no, this scribble wasn't written with both Teacher and Love because I'm into older woman.... well, maybe a bit.... wait, that's not the point!

I'm getting less and less inspired to write this opening, so before I lost all inspiration for this, Let the Scribble begin!

Scribble 5: Teacher, Love, and Heisenberg's Uncertainty Principle

How? How could I ended up like this?! The question kept repeating through my head.



I was walking through the city, on a sunny Sunday morning, with smartphone on my hand and black pen on my breast pocket. That in itself wasn't a strange thing, as Lennius Reinn-Lasch was known to walk kilometers through the city without any reason in his free time.

The only thing that made this Sunday morning different is the woman that linked her arms beside me.

And before you ask, no, she was NOT my mother. Or even part of my family. Yet.

I always thought that having my teacher and my family acquainted would be a good thing. Well, it was actually my mother who thought that, but no matter how you look at it, this time she had took it too far. Of course matchmaking your eldest son to your last child's physics teacher would be a good idea. I have absolutely NO objection to that (insert sarcastic face here). Not that she let me have a choice, it was either I gave it a chance or I'll be forbidden from marrying anyone before my sister got married. Which would as well mean for the rest of my life.

So here I am, a 20 years something old college students, walking with my little sister's physics teacher by a sheer coincidence.

Now don't get me wrong. Katryn was a nice and beautiful person, and the chance someone like her would even talk to me without my mother's intervention was almost zero. And she was really considerate and reserved, the very fact that she was such a nice person that I don't deserve is weighing heavily on my heart. But that wasn't the real problem here.

The problem is that I, Lennius Reinn-Lasch, have zero experience when it comes to dating a woman.

"What's wrong, Lennius?" she suddenly asked me, probably upon seeing my grim expression.

"No, I was just admiring how beautiful you look today." I cursed in my mind.

And that's my strange ability. While people would probably simply flustered when caught spacing out, my instant response at such situation was making cheesy pick up lines, which more often than not worsen the moods between the girls on my class and me. And you ask why am I still single?

Katryn, however, simply chuckled. "I wonder why, with your ability to craft those lines on the fly, no one have ever tried to drag you to the Psychology department yet."

"Well, they tried to, but I refused. I don't want to spend my life trying to fix other's life."

We somehow arrived at a park in the neighborhood that I had never visited before, and after I fetched several soda cans from the vending machine, we sat together on the steel bench.

"You taught physics for seventh grade, don't you, Katryn?"

"Yeah. Well, I actually teach eighth and ninth grade too, and if needed I was capable to teach up to twelfth grade material, but for now I just teach mid school material."

"That's incredible. I'm not patient enough to deal with children, so teaching is impossible for me." and then it struck me out. What am I doing, talking about children in front of her?! Before she realized the topic is going that way, I tried to change the topic.

"Katryn, what's your favorite color?" great, that question came suddenly out of nowhere. I could almost saw the affection meter dropped in front of me.

"It's brown." surprisingly, she answered with calm voice.

"Why brown?" it seems like a safe route, so I followed it.

"You know, that's not a question that you could really answer." she chuckled "But for me, it's because I felt like it represent me."

She turned to look at me, her sapphire eyes locked into mine. "Because it was color of a failure."

Well, my eyes were blue, so it didn't offend me, but I wouldn't recommend her talking about colors with any asian.

"In the color spectrum, brown was somewhere between red and orange. It represent the red that failed to become orange. Moreover, brown was the color of dirt, the color that one would see when they have fallen to the ground, in contrast of the brilliant blue sky the winner who stood high would have seen."

Scratch the thing about I wouldn't recommend her. I forbid her from talking to any asian. Ever.

"But, you know, I think brown is the color that represent humanity, color of those who repeatedly fell down in order to reach the sky." I tried to reply philosophically, my improvisation talent spinning hard while I tried to say neutral-toned words. "And of course, it's the color of chocolate. It was technically different color, but....." I pulled my savings for this piece of chocolate, a simple package I carefully crafted last night.

"Well, I'm honestly impressed." she chuckled. "Not many people tried to flirt with me and actually stick with it long enough to give me chocolate. It's still May though."

"Well, their conscience probably burdened by guilt after seeing how kind you are." I smiled.

"Thanks." she smiled, her radiance glowed brightly in front of my eyes.

"And, uh, I hope you're not offended, but I normally don't say those kind of stuff with those who actually close to me. So, because it seems like we're going to spend a lot of time together, at least until my mother's enthusiasm died down, that is, I just think you have to know that."

"No way, you could say that kind of things to girls you didn't even close with?"

"It's because I know I won't be with them for a long time. For example, I won't be able say those stuff to my sisters or cousins, because it'll be awkward the next time we meet."

"You're a funny person, Lennius." she averted her gaze to the sky. "I wonder if I could do the same if I stayed with you long enough." she chuckled.

"I wouldn't like that if you suddenly said those kind of stuff to random guys, though." I mentally facepalmed myself. Her chuckle grew into a laughter, and we laughed our heart off.

"Aah, if it's like this everyday then I have nothing against spending the rest of my life with you." she smirked, while I could feel heat gathered in my ears.

"W-well, you have improved in just a short time." she chuckled again.

"I learn from the expert. And don't worry, I would only say such kind of thing to you." now not only my ears, my whole face felt like I'd been sunbathing for a whole day.

"Please don't say that to anyone else, they could seriously fall in love with you."

"You mean you don't?"

Awkward silence follows.

"Ahaha, that was poorly timed. I still have a lot to learn~"

"Please don't learn strange things from me." how many times had she chuckled in past ten minutes? Well, she did again.

"Lennius, your major is Electrical Engineering, isn't it?"

"Yeah, that's right. What with the sudden change of topic?"

"I don't want to hear that from someone who suddenly talked about favorite colors to avoid awkward topic." she pouted. And darn she's cute.

"So I've been found out, huh?"

"It's also an awkward topic for me, so I didn't really mind. So, on your high school, have you ever heard about [Heisenberg's Uncertainty Principle]?"

"Never heard of it."

"Your response is too fast! You didn't even try to remember it, did you?!"

"I haven't reviewed my 12th grade physics note for more than three years, so how could I remember about the chapter 16 of my year's syllabus about modern physics?"

"How could you say you don't remember when you know precisely where it was in the syllabus?"

And since when did this turn into boke and tsukkomi routine? But I didn't say that out loud. She could live without knowing I'm an otaku.

"Well, I have this strange ability to recall precise details of something that was too trifling for anyone else to care about, and yet I easily forgot about stuff that was truly important for me."

"Another one of your abilities, huh." from who-knows-when, Katryn was holding a pen and a small notebook, writing a list that suspiciously titled [List of Lennius' ESP].

"What kind of strange list are you writing about me? And when did you get that notebook anyway?" somehow the role had been reversed.

"So, I guess after pulling out pattern from normally imperceptible gesture and speech, you was able to construct most appropriate lines for each unique person, huh?"

"Please stop analyzing me like a psychoanalyst and start behaving like a physics teacher already! Ahem." I cleared my throat "So, what with this Heisenberg's Uncertainty Principle? It's the one about how the measurement of a quantum object is always a trade-off between precision of position or precision of momentum, isn't it?"

"Yeah, that one. Don't you think it's a romantic principle?"

I was at loss of words.

"How....was that have anything to do with romance?"

"Well, love is a game for two, so when you focused too much on the interest of one side, the other would start to disappear. For example...."

"Hold it, this is going to be an awfully awkward talk, so unless you're confident you could divert it into harmless topic,,,,"

"Is it really? Aren't you just afraid? Is the prospect of spending several years with me that terrifying for you?"

"Don't get me wrong! You're a good person, and I like you, really. Me, in the other hand....." she suddenly patted my hair.

"That's what I mean. You're too focused on looking at me that you forgot to look at yourself."

"Huh?"

"Ehehe. Admit it, I won this time." my face flushed when she laughed so innocently.

"God, I could actually fall for you, you know? Are you okay with that?"

"I just have to break your heart, right?"

"Don't say that kind of things so nonchalantly! It was terrifying in more ways than one!" and o, that day ended with a laughter.

The Scribble will now ends.

Okay, that's one way to put that.... And in the end, the part about Heisenberg's uncertainty principle only show up in last seconds......

I feel a bit sad every time I finished writing a short story, because that would mean Carenina Aeris, Lennius Reinn-Lasch, Vera Ashfire, and Cenadriel the Fothrill dragon, among all others, would never live again in my mind, their story had ended, and you can't hope for a sequel, not from me.

Anyway, see you next scribble?

No comments:

Post a Comment