Tuesday, August 06, 2019

Scribble 24: Salvation and Darkness (2/2)

The flow of time resurged once more

Scribble 24: Salvation and Darkness(2/2)

I lazily groaned as the faint hum of machinery woke me up, my neck and arm grew numb from the awkward position I slept in. The screen before me displayed a half-finished design of a device I drew on my sleep-deprived delirium the preceding night. Andrew is nowhere to be seen, but if I have to guess he should be upstairs, sleeping within the warm confine of his couch.

That bastard.

Here I am slaving away to fix his mistakes, unpaid, I might add. And he just left me. Not even a blanket--scratch that. He did give me a blanket, it just fell to my feet. I picked it up and wrapped it around me.

I turned my sight back to the screen. A miniature muonium collider, designed to focus the particle stream from the collision into a single coordinate in space-time and forcibly harmonize them. Much of the technology included were black boxes, Covert blueprints I just incorporate with blind trust. They were so beyond me that I just stopped trying to understand the exact mechanism. I don't think Andrew even know how half of them work--an ignorance that led to the exact disaster we're in right now.

"What was I thinking?" I (gently) lowered my forehead to the desk. "Even if this thing works, it won't do anything. It's completely useless."

"Coffee?" Andrew's voice sent a jolt to my mind.

"For God's sake, Andrew. Must you scare me with your every steps?"

"It's not my fault you're so deep in your thought." Carrying two mugs, Andrew placed down one near the keyboard in front of me, while he sipped from the other. "Any new ideas? You worked on that blueprint for almost a full day, isn't it around time you tell me what it does?"

"I think I'm having short term memory loss." Deciding to partake in his generosity, I picked up the mug filled with dark liquid barely identifiable as coffee.

"You're shitting me."

"Why would I--" Andrew rushed to one of the tables, picking up a baton-shaped device with a row of glowing strip.

"Sit still." He proceeded to wave the device around my head, before sighing in apparent relief. "It's not the nanomachines. Not Lethe Spring, at the very least. Still, you worked on this for a full day, how don't you know what it does?"

"If you didn't realize, last night was the first time I slept in the last three days. My mind's on tatters. It's a miracle I didn't accidentally make an...atomic...bomb. Huh." I re-checked the components on the device. "Yeah, it's not an atomic bomb. That much I'm certain. But it's nothing we need either. I'll look back at my logs, try to reconstruct my train of thoughts. How are things on your side?"

"...Do you really want to know?"

"Well, yeah." An awkward silence filled the room, interrupted only by the hum of machinery. "...Did you expect me to fix this problem on my own?"

"Well I mean-- I thought--" His stammering only confirmed my worst suspicion.

"You're an idiot. A massive idiot. The universe broke down in an integer overflow when it tried to contain the idiocy within your brain. The sheer emptiness of your cranial cavity accelerated the proton decay supposedly only exist in the end of the universe. I am appalled that nervous signal managed to traverse the vast emptiness within your skull--"

"Stop it, I got your point, okay? It's not like I don't have any idea, it's just that.."

"It's just that?" I sighed. "Just... forget it. I'm done. I'm out."

"Wait! Wait. I have one idea. It's just...incredibly stupid."

"I could handle stupid. Pitch it."

Andrew pulled a diagram onto his terminal. "There's this special material manufactured on Jupiter orbit, called Strong-Distorted Proton Lattice. Crystallized hydrogen, basically. Now these crystals are room-temperature superconductor, but when it impacts normal matter in high speed, like if you accidentally drop it, two things could happen." Andrew swiped left on the screen.

"One, it could simply shatter into normal hydrogen gas, or two, it could transform the impacted material into further crystal. It's uncontrollable which could happen, quantum uncertainties and all, but if we tried a few times, it's almost guaranteed that it'll eventually do the latter."

"You know, that's not half bad. Except for the fact that the nanomachines are suspended in a ferrofluid. After the initial impact zone there's no guarantee--hmm, wait. That's not bad. Why haven't we tried it?"

"I thought you'd be less enthusiastic to introduce what's basically Tiberium to Earth environment?"

"Eh. I'm sure it'll be fine. It's a superconducting material, means it could be contained with magnetic field. It won't impact the containment chamber floor, I think we could at least count on that. It's a closer solution than whatever device I designed."

"...I'll go make some call."

---

"It's a railgun." It's morning the next day that an unmarked car, presumably from Covert, pulled over and handed several boxes to Andrew.

"Well normal gun would risk having the chamber converted when the hammer hits." Andrew assembled the overwhelmingly normal-looking railgun after we transported the boxes to his underground lair.

"That's not the point. You're loading tiberium into a railgun."

"It's for impact testing. Determining the precise condition for matter conversion. The shape is just for ergonomics." He loaded a round into the meter-long railgun, tipped with clear pink crystal. "Covert probably also developed it as a weapon, but that's not what we're using this for right now. Anyway, I'll just do some tests and install it on the containment system."

"What do you even need me for? You had the solution right on hand all this time." I picked up a black cartridge, presumably an energy pack for the railgun.

"Well, not all story have to end in Eureka moment. Sometimes it ends with a whimper. That, however, could end us all in a bang, so be careful not to short or drop it."

"What is this? Another exotic tech?"

"That's pretty normal hydrogen fuel cell, actually. It uses compressed hydrogen canister."

"..right, I don't want it to go kaboom, thank you very much." I paused, before a horrifying realization dawned upon me. "Andrew. What if the suspension liquid is shear thinning?!"

"Shear-- oh shit." The same horrified look appeared on Andrew's face "I never tested it. If it is shear thinning, the bullet would just pass through--huh." The horrified look suddenly disappeared from his face.

"What, why are you calm?!"

"The solution is simple, really. We could just suspend a metal target in the middle. The crystal bullet would slow down in the magnetic field anyway, in the off chance we did miss, it would float slowly to the bottom, losing all the kinetic energy on its descent. The gun is very precise, I assure you."

Andrew used his micro-fabricator to make a ball of copper-iron alloy, and dropped it into the containment chamber. With a few adjustment, it floated within the sphere of liquid containing Lethe Spring--which immediately started "consuming" the ball.

"You may fire when ready." Andrew smirked, but disappointment swept on his face when I shown him confusion. "Nevermind."

With a press of a button, the gun fired. A bubble of hydrogen gas rose within the containment chamber.

"Well, as you said, 50/50 chance. Let's fire it again."

Another rather disappointing bubble of helium popped from the ferrofluid sphere.

"Again, I guess."

The five-bullet clip emptied, all disappeared into bubbles of hydrogen.

"...do you still have more?"

"We still have two clips, don't worry."

"Is it really a 50/50 chance?"

"It's not like we've tried to crystallize a glob of nanomachines before. Let me up the power a bit." Andrew reloaded the gun, as well as replacing the power cartridge with visibly larger one. "Clear."

I pressed the button this time, and the crystalline bullet hit the metal ball with loud and clear sound.

"It's working! The ball is crystallizing!"

"Yes!" We laughed as we watched the entire sphere of green liquid crystallized into a massive pink orb.

And it suspended right there, a bit lower than it was, kept afloat by the eddy current.

---

"Cheers!" Cheap wine spilled from our glasses. "That's one end of the world averted."

It was hardly noon, but we're drunk--both in relief after averting potential global crisis, and from the wine.

"By the way, did you remember what that design for yet?"

"Not really. I'm not even halfway through the schematics yet." That was a lie--I'm way past halfway through the schematics, but he doesn't really have to know, now that the problem it's designed to solve was already nonexistent.

I suspected my original plan was to force the quantum network between the nanomachines to disperse--the space-time synchronizing part was more important than the muonium collider, as it would allow me to alter the four fundamental forces themselves to a certain extent.

"Huh. That's not like you. I'd think you'll build it anyway, just in case."

I did.

"There's no point anymore, right? The problem is solved already."

"Maybe you really did change more than I expected." Andrew poured another glass, and downed it in one go. "Well, no point in lamenting the past. Say, Ice, what do you think about joining Covert?"

"Why would I even think about that? ...wait."

"Yeah, you understand, don't you?" He pulled out a bizarre device, with both a revolver cylinder and a magazine, and aimed it at my face. "My mission wasn't to create a species-wide enlightenment nanomachine. Well, wasn't only. If we needed to eliminate Lethe Spring we could just chuck it at the sun. My primary mission was to recruit you."

"A railgun in pistol form. Neat. So they did weaponize it."

"Piezoelectric magazine, hydrogen crystal ammo. Come on, Ice. I have to either bring you to our side or kill you, and I really don't want to do the latter."

"Kill me? Andrew, you can't be seriously thinking that you could--"

"You're not the only one who have changed, Ice. What, you seriously thought I still haven't moved on from my highschool crush? It's been a decade, Ice."

I laughed, and a shade of confusion filled his face. "I don't mean mentally, you dolt." I raised my right hand at him. His fingers tensed. "I asked if you seriously thought you could physically harm me." And I snapped my fingers.

The sound echoes through the room, the change simple yet very noticeable: all six bullet on his rail-hand-gun-thing evaporated into hydrogen gas.

"...What the hell did you do?!"

"Magic." I grinned, and then sighed when the panic and confusion in his face only intensified. "Really? You don't remember? Chaos magic? Three basic combat spell?"

"I have no idea what you're talking about." He discarded the frankengun and pulled out a very normal, perfectly functional Glock smart handgun. I raised my hand at him.

"Shield." The space-time itself strained as intense gravity formed three shield in front of me, distorting all paths through space. Andrew fired a couple bullets, but none of them reached their destination, instead embedding themselves in the walls and ceiling.

"Blast." Following my spoken word, everything became awash with white light.

When my eyes finally adjusted back to the daylight, I saw Andrew slumped at the other side of the room, out of breath, blinded, deafened, and shivering.

"---" he tried to say something, but the blast also affected my hearing. I shook my head.

"Can't hear you."

"---!" I gave up trying to hear him, and tried to read his lips instead.

"What the hell was that?!"

I pulled out my phone, and opened one of the oldest text file within, before turning it screen at him.

"Three basic combat spell"
"-Shield, prevent launched attacks from reaching"
"-Disarmament, prevent attacks from being launched"
"-Hex, counter offensive"

"That is a Hex--a thunder blast. The plasma discharge wasn't caused by extreme voltage, but by the sudden drop in air resistance. It's non-lethal, well, mostly." I inhaled and popped my ears. "To me." A metallic Orb bolted from the basement, levitating just over my left shoulder.

"Is that...Is that the device? How..."

"Cute, isn't it? Output-wise it's nothing compared to the Photosphere, but with some tricks it could even create shield-shaped distortion in space-time. I'll be honest, there's something seriously wrong with how gravity works..." I trailed on for some time as Andrew recovered, his eyes wary of my every movement.

"Ice."

"What?"

He raised his gun again, and a shield unfurled in front of me.

"Covert will hunt you. They don't take kindly to thieves."

"I reckon they won't like you leaking tech to get me on your side either." He simply laughed.

"I'm disposable anyway. Without you I'm useless, and without me you're fugitive. We have to be together, Ice. The two of us must be on the same side, on Covert's side, to truly move humanity forward. To forge new future."

"You're indoctrinated, Andrew. Can you hear yourself? That's some cultist bullshit you're spewing there." I dismissed my shield, and placed two fingers from my right hand on the side of his head, securing his gun with my left. "You almost convinced me to join Covert on my own, and make them discard you. I was this close."

"They won't take you in, not after what you did to me, and what I did for them."

"What, you think making some nanomachines amounted to anything for them? And failing to control them afterwards, no less. You're a failed subject, Andrew. Less than trash to them. You were one of them, you'd know. The Photosphere weren't built through friendship and love, it's built with blood and tears of those who failed."

"I just have to kill you, then." His left hand darted inside his lab coat, and in single fluid motion launched a knife at my torso. I staggered back, and again his gun was pointed at my face. Learning from his mistake, he immediately fired two bullet at me before I could cast a shield. "That way I could redeem myself."

There's no surviving that. Blood and brain matter scattered on the ground.

"...oh shit, I failed my mission, I killed her, wait, no, they would understand. She is dangerous. They will forgive me. They know the truth. Shit. I killed her. I killed her. I killed her..."

---

Oh wow. He actually killed me.

Time slowed down to a crawl when the bullet from his gun touched the bridge of my nose. It's not some metaphor--it's a dead man's switch on the Orb designed to activate when all possible timeline lead to my death.

I honestly never thought he would get this far. For once, he's a step ahead from me.

All possible timeline lead to my death. There's no escape. The Orb could only accelerate my consciousness--even the signal delay between my nerves and my muscles worked against me.

If I have only one more day, no, six more hours. The secret of time travel and resurrection... If only...

I knew even I won't be able to do that. It was merely my delusion, blinded by the imminence of my death.

The bullet pierced through the bone in my nose. I'm running out of time.

If I could send one last command to the Orb, just one--

My time is out. Everything went black.

---

That instant extended to infinity.

But even that ended.

Time, time is a fickle thing. There's nothing to be rewound when a life ended, no choice to repick, no save files to reload. Yet when an explosion of infinite unknowable cosmic variable toppled the balance of entire universes, an immeasurable amount of possibilities expanded from a single point: another big bang, ripping through existing timelines.

It only has to happen in one timeline. The Orb needs only to be fully activated once within the multiverse.

Let's review our options.

---

To be continued?

No comments:

Post a Comment