Sunday, July 31, 2016

Scribble 8 : Which kind of Human are you?



Welcome, Wanderers! We would like to introduce you to our newest product, so please sit down, because this is going to be a long one, woohoo!

I'm on a writer's block.

I'm writing several stories simultaneously but everything get stuck in intro and I can't get anything done: typical me of the mess.

Okay, now let's get going. This is not so much a full blown story as it is an experimental gunk of mess.... But it's readable, I ensure you. Our current theme is Science Fiction, and our current rate was Teen 13+. The experimental part is I tried to write in third person, which if you had noticed, I never did, in this blog at least.

So, without further ado, Let the Scribble begin!

Scribble 8 : Which kind of Human are you?

The century is 276 A.D., the year is 36th.

Humanity had finally left the confines of their home system and spread throughout the Galaxy. But human body were designed with earth environment in mind, as such modifications were needed in order to adjust humanity to respective system. These adjustments gave rise to various interesting phenomena, namely, the Remniscience.

Remniscience is a phenomena where a human colony modified to suit a particular system developed unusual ability, like flight, telekinesis, clairvoyance and myriad other abilities. The colony which developed these abilities are called Remniscient races, and many information regarding Remniscience is closely guarded by respective colonies.

Procyon, G6T-1 Colony. 1 AM local time, exact date unknown, 27536 A.D.


A girl ran into the dark alleyway, evading her pursuer. As a system only a single hyperspace jump away from Sol, this system is treated as a 'backdoor', a haven for illegal businesses, as such the scene isn't rare at all.

The only difference is the identity of the girl.

She shot her ion blaster towards her pursuer, which harmlessly dispersed. "Tch, a personal shield, huh? How do you fight physical bullets, then?!"

She switched to a plain handgun, but the bullet just get deflected before it even touched the enemy.

"A Remniscient, huh? Furthermore a telekinesis user. What a troublesome enemy." not that she wasn't a Remniscient on her own, but her ability would prove useless against a telekinesis user.

Several knives slipped past her, missed by millimeters. Zig-zaging through the dark alleyway, she unfortunately ran into a dead end.

"Oh my. It seems like my luck had ran out."

"You're not getting away from us now."

"Yeah," contrary to her alarming situation, her attitude was completely nonchalant "it seems like my adventure ends here. Come." her pursuer hold up a ion blaster.

"Farewell, Red Artium." and with a bang, a good chunk of meat shaved away from her being.

They left her after taking the device she had been holding onto, without even checking for her pulse. No one could survive an ion blast from point-blank range.

Or, the more correct way to put it was, no one should be able to survive an ion blast from point-blank range.

"Guhah! That hurts more than I remember." she woke up, her clothes still torn up, but her body was perfectly unhurt. She pushed the communicator button in her ear "Ray, I lost the device."

"How many time should I told you to call me Blue Nine?"

"I have no time for that. Is the tracker still working?" the girl, Red Artium, walked out from the alleyways. It was just after midnight, so she wasn't particularly concerned about people seeing her half naked.

"I'm tracing them as we speak, it seems like everything is according to the plan."

"I just wish it didn't involve destroying even my underwear. And that shirt worth a ton, you know, I'll bill you out on that."

"As you wish, Red."

"I prefer my real name more.... Raina out."

"Ah-"

Raina cut off her transmission, and walked towards a coin locker where she stashed spare clothes. Her job as illegal courier demand her to be able to switch clothes quickly, and this kind of stashes spread to every nook and cranny on this city.

As she pressed the button on a vending machine, which strangely stays unchanged since tens of thousands years ago, she scrolled through her phone.

The surveillance system hadn't recorded the explosion, huh?

The device her pursuer had taken was a dummy device, a graviton bomb packed with trackers. The original device had been transported days before, and she didn't really care about what is it as long as she got paid.

Raina sipped her can of soda, Ray won't stop babbling on how a girl like her shouldn't drink alcohol.

Her phone suddenly vibrated, an explosion had been recorded by the surveillance system. She immediately broke into a run, following the lead on the tracker. The bomb was set to lowest setting possible, used more as a marking device than a weapon.

"Ray." she pressed the communicator as she pulled out her blaster.

"Yes. I'm unlocking their doors as we speak, twelve guards still active both inside and outside, fifteen armed personel inside. Be careful."

"No worries." Raina changed her blaster to sniping mode: farther range, smaller impact area, higher penetration. Five guards fell with a hole on their uniform as soon as they came into range of her blaster.

"Two behind the gate, three on left corridor, two on the right. Finish all of them."

"Got it." the guards behind the gate stormed out, plasma riffle at ready, and barraging her with plasma pellets at 2% the speed of light.

In layman's term, literally blazing fast.

"Whoa!"

"Please don't die. We're hard-pressed as is." Ray coldly spoke to his communicator.

"That was some harsh thing to say to someone who is in pinch!" Raina miraculously dodged all bullets, but actually as long as her brain remains, she could regenerate any and every part of her body within 8 minutes. She ran towards an abandoned warehouse, panting.

"Haa, Blue, do you have visual?"

"I got a satellite lock, but I have no usable weapons. Sorry, but you're on your own."

"Ugh. Switch to burst mode." a metallic click came from her blaster.

Apparently, the guard hadn't satisfied. They blasted an entire wall section of the warehouse where Raina was hiding.

"Uwaaah!" the blast continues as Raina ran along the wall, avoiding the explosion by centimeters, but her shirt is almost completely backless. Several metal shard embedded themselves on her back, but she ignored it, focusing in avoiding the blast.

"I got..kssh..of a p..kssh..l drone, hold o..kssh...three min..kssh..s! Ple...kssh...n't die!" Ray shouted to his communicator, the blast half jamming the signal to Raina's.

I could barely hold for thirty seconds! Raina mentally cursed as the wall went to a dead end. She noticed that half of the warehouse was underground, but her blaster had nowhere near enough energy to punch a hole on the floor.

"I'll be off-com for two minutes, but I promise you I wont die." Raina shut down her communicator, before switching on the personal shield and focusing its power to her head.

As long as her brain was intact, she could restore herself within 8 minutes. That was the kind of creature Rainia Longstar is.

That would also meant that if she cannot restore herself within 8 minutes, she would be dead.

Four minutes later.

"Red, do you copy?"

"I'm... restoring myself, I had no cognitive function left to answer you."

"Okay, you don't have to answer. The drone was old Deneb Confederation model, but its generator is fully loaded, and it had blast jamming installed."

Blast jamming, despite its name, was actually just an electromagnetic transponder designed to halt blasters' plasma generation: both ion and plasma blaster used magnetic containment to focus its beam, thus disrupting the field would force the safety feature to kick in, temporarily disabling them.

"Uh, wouldn't it jam its own thrusters and guns?"

"Nah, this thing has this magical system that avoid its own jammer, seriously, how did these Deneb Confederation people build these stuff?"

"It's hardly time for it, is it? Have it hover above the building, jam all the blasters... ah!"

"What is it?"

"I lost my gun on that blast."

"I could provide the shot if you designate the target, the targeting system on the drone is detachable. Heading there now."

"No! Don't!" Raina suddenly shouted to her communicator.

"Why?" Ray sounds utterly annoyed.

"Well, remember when I said I would be off-comm?"

"Yeah, you're activating your personal shield."

"I was actually limiting the shield area to just my head, the blast destroyed almost my entire body."

"But you had no problem regenerating your own body-- oh." realization dawned upon him.

She could regenerate any part of her body.

Yes, only her body.

Thus what would happen when her entire body was destroyed along with her clothes?

"This is a pretty troublesome situation." Raina could almost see Ray facepalming.

"What should I do? I cannot walk to any of my stashes like this, heck, I can't even get out from this warehouse!"

"I recall you had walked half-naked through the city to take your destroyed outfit."

"This and that was totally different! When I walked the ragged clothes was still enough to protect the important parts, the worst people do was stare at me and think I was just having a bad night."

"If you walked out right now, people would think you're a pervert that ask to be raped or something." Ray murmured to himself, thankfully his communicator was off.

"If you would let me, I could fetch you your--"

"As if! Pervert!"

"Calm down! I'll set it into thermal camera, so-- oh."

The blasted warehouse was only hot enough to feel uncomfortable, but the overall temperature was still around 40 degree, enough to obscure average human.

"Ray, what should I do?" Raina was a tough girl that stood unfazed even when her body was blasted into pieces, but she was currently on the verge of tears.

"Like I said, if you would let me fetch you your stashes..."

"You just wanted to see my body, don't you?"

"We're living in the same apartment. And I have blasters. If I so much as want it I could remotely drain your bathtub and blast the walls to oblivion. But I don't." Raina felt like there were something left unsaid as his voice trailed, but she wasn't calm enough to process it.

"That being said, I have another idea. I would take one of the guards with the drone and then drop it from up high."

"Ooh, neat idea."

"I could navigate by pure maps, so I won't be able to look at you. Win-win, no?"

"Yep, that's cool with me."

"The chest area might be a bit loose, by the way." Ray said with teasing tone.

"With my regenerating ability, sometimes I forgot how much pain a normal human could handle..."

"Please forget anything I said. And oh, I think the guards had some old assault riffles, Magalov-64. It's fully packed."

"Got it. Resuming mission in fifteen minutes." the headless corpse fell from heaven. Raina quickly stripped her of her equipment, down to underwear, she felt a bit pity but she finally shrugged it off. She checked the riffle assembly and cartridge, before pressing her communicator. "I'm good to go."

"I'll deploy the blast jamming shortly before you enter, finish all the guards and then I'll guide you to the meeting room."

"Roger that. Wait a second" she took out her plasma blaster and destroyed the guard's corpse. "Okay. I'm going to storm up front. Monitor me by the maps."

_To Be Continued_

So, that was the Part One of the Remniscience Universe, I split it because of said deadlock--that being sad I was actually working on its second part. Let's hope I'll be alive for second installment, no?

See you, next time, Wanderers.

No comments:

Post a Comment